A company and its director were convicted under the Workplace Safety and Health Act (Cap. 354A), and fined a total of S$70,000. One of the company’s worker suffered injuries in a flash fire on 20 May 2008 and died.
The deceased worker started work with the company about two weeks before the incident. He was performing gas cutting works using an Oxy-Acetylene gas cutting torch in the factory. At the same area, drums were being pressed for disposal. During the cutting works, a flash fire broke out. The worker suffered extensive burns, and died in the hospital 10 days later.
Investigations found leaks at the valves of the oxygen and acetylene cylinders of the torch, as well as between the connection of the hose and gas torch. The company failed to maintain the hot works equipment and conduct adequate checks before allowing workers to use them.
The company was found to have failed in implementing adequate safety measures in the use of an Oxy-Acetylene gas cutting torch and the pressing of drums while the director was found to have failed to exercise due diligence in ensuring that there were adequate safety measures for the work.
The news is taken from Channel News Asia HERE.